In 2008, YCAB was honored to receive a Special Consultative status from UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) along with 3,544 NGOs. This year, we are humbled and honored to receive the news that we are granted the highest status, General Consultative Status. This status is reserved for NGOs that represent large segment of societies in several countries, and whose work areas cover most of the issues on the agenda of ECOSOC and its subsidiary bodies.
As stated by the ECOSOC Resolution 1996/31, the importance of the Consultative relationship between the United Nations and NGOs is for the purpose of enabling the Council to secure expert information or advice from organizations having special competence in the subjects for which consultative arrangements are made, and, on the other hand, to enable international, regional, sub-regional and national organizations that represent important elements of public opinion to express their views.
With this General Consultative Status, YCAB will have the opportunity to:
- Provide expert analysis on issues directly from its experience in the field
- Serve as an early warning agent
- Help monitor and implement international agreements
- Help raise public awareness of relevant issues
- Play a major role in advancing United Nations goals and objectives
- Contribute with essential information at organization events.
- Attend international conferences and events
- Make written and oral statements at these events
- Organize side events
- Enter United Nations premises
- Have opportunities to network and lobby.
As in 2016, there are only 143 federations, societal groups and NGOs that are granted this General Consultative Status and YCAB is the only NGO from Indonesia to be granted this status. This is definitely a humbling and proud moment for us especially to be able to represent Indonesia in the United Nation Council and to put Indonesia in the global map.
This achievement is made possible by all the hard work and dedication of YCABers, partners and volunteers. Our hope is this award will serve as a motivation to achieve our vision to reach 5 million youth in 2020. This award also completes another achievement that YCAB received early this year as rank #49 of Top 500 NGOs in the world by NGO Advisor.